Saturday, February 27, 2010

Happiness Project, February, Sewing

So I have jumped on the happiness project bandwagon. My project this month was sewing. Joan and Fred gave us a sewing machine for Christmas and I have wanted to learn how to do it for a long time now. My mother taught me a bit but I don't think I have done anything since I was twelve! Here are my first two projects. I decided to make dresses for Anna out of mens shirts.

The first one I made is here:







If anyone is interested in the tutorial the link is here



The second dress I made is here:







One big thing I learned from making this dress is that it is NOT flattering on Anna's body. When you see it in person it makes her look like she has a huge gut, but I am going to add a ribbon around the mid section to try and compensate for that. The tutorial actually shows making a waist band, but I didn't like it, I think it is a good idea though.

The tutorial for this one is found here



I had a load for fun doing this project and I am excited to do several more things I have picked out. I felt good being able to make a dress as my first project!

Next month I am going to be working on healthy eating and fitness. I have a few goals picked out, working out 3 times a week, eating healthy etc.

7 comments:

  1. Nice job - I can't believe you've tried buttons already. I'm sure you can make adjustments to the one you don't like. Hope you don't get tired of sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE the first dress, especially. Wow, you really did a great job. AND, Anna is so darn cute in that first picture. She looks so old and it looks like she has so much hair. Adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the blue one! For not having sewed in a good while you sure did great. Anna looks adorable. The red one doesn't look bad maybe if you add a tie like you said it would be more flattering. Keep on making things. Good job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. KIm this is great. Anna looks so cute. Well keep up the sewing. Helen spends hours making her outfits and fixing my cloths. It is a God send. Why does that second comment say it is you?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Kim now with you and your sewing and Denise and he cakes I need to catch up. The dresses look great and Anna is so old now! She needs to see her aunt Steph. Hopefully in April.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am not sure why Denise's comments always come up as me, it has been ever since I visited her. I just have to change them all manually. The second dress is actually probably my favorite now, it looks super cute with the ribbon I put on, I will try and post more pictures if Anna will let me. The thing I don't like about it is that it requires ironing whereas the first one doesn't wrinkle. Mom, I did not do buttons, that was the whole point in using a mens button up shirt, the buttons were already there =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kim!!! They are both beautiful. I feel a bit sheepish having stolen Drew's machine...but I have put it to really good use, I promise!

    ReplyDelete