Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Long overdue - Lizzie


When I was about 33 weeks pregnant with Lizzie I took a GTT and it was found that I had blood sugar that was too high.  They said they could not diagnose it completely as Gestational diabetes because if was so late in the pregnancy that there were not numbers as to what blood sugar is typically at that point, but they wanted to monitor it anyway.  I was able to keep my blood sugar under control by diet.  

At about 36 weeks pregnant I had an ultra sound where Lizzie was measuring 7 lb. 2 oz. but I didn't think much of it as I don't always think they are that accurate.  I believe it now.  At about that time I started having braxton hicks contractions or "tightenings" about every 5 minutes for 4-5 days, which was pretty annoying.  They went away though thankfully!  But came back at about 39 weeks or so for the next week until Lizzie arrived!

Wednesday 14th June 2011 12.30pm, I went to the doctor to have a stretch and sweep (membranes stripped) as Lizzie was 5 days over due and they had originally wanted to induce at 38 weeks which I refused to do.  When the doctor did the procedure, he said I was already dilated to a 4.  The doctor said that he would be surprised if I was not back in the hospital that night.  I was!

By 2 o'clock I started having contractions every 6 minutes or so.  I called to let my doula know, so that she could arrange childcare. 

We had the doula came over at about 6:45 and we decided to head to the hospital.  I wish I had stayed home longer, but decided that it would be nice to get to the hospital  and get comfy before things progressed too much.  I also was told on the phone I would be able to use the birthing pool, alas, once I arrived the doctor said no, as I was considered high risk.


Look at that belly!
By 11:30 pm I was still only at a 5, So I walked around a bit more.  I was using hypnobirthing CD's which are really just relaxation CD.  I was also using a TENS machine, which I found helpful.  By 5:30 the next morning I was still at a 6 so the doctor decided we needed progress things by breaking my water.  I also got a half of a dose of the drug called pethidine, which helped as I was pretty anxious by this time that things were going to be too difficult to do without an epidural.  However, the contractions never started coming close together, they stayed at about 5 minute intervals.   By 7:20 or so I was time to push.  By 7:55 the midwife realized that Lizzie's shoulders were stuck, so she pushed the emergency button.  I didn't notice she pushed the button, but one more push, with the help of the wonderful staff and Lizzie was out at 8:00 am on  June 16th, my parents 38th anniversary!  She was in a bit of shock from the birth and was a bit sleepy from the drug so they took her aside to check her and give her the antidote to the pethidine,she scored a 3 on her agpar at birth and then an 8 at 5 minutes.  So not too bad.   They took her to the special care baby unit to get her temperatures regulated and just to be monitored.  A couple minutes later the midwife came in to let us know that she weighed 10 lbs. 4 oz. Which I am pretty proud about managing without an epidural!  




After being examined they found that I had a 3rd degree tear, which meant it needed to be stitched in "theatre" or the Operating room.  I was not in pain from the tear, but the after pains were really strong so I was very happy to get a spinal during the procedure.   Drew went with Lizzie, while they were stitching me up.  The nurse was embarrassed that they didn't have any pink sheets, but, oh well.



She had to be fed formula because of the diabetes so I told them to cup feed her.  After being stitched up, they brought her to me for a while in the recovery room, but wanted to take her back to monitor her further.  I was able to see her twice that evening, Anna came with me the first time.  Anna was cute because she was more interested in the baby next to Lizzie who was much smaller than her, than in Lizzie.

My first visit with Elizabeth note the matching PJ's, a Christmas gift from Drew!




The second time they brought her to the room to nurse for a bit.  They told me she was probably fine to bring down to the room for the night, but if they would keep her so I could rest after the spinal and what not.  I opted for her to stay and get a bit more sleep.  I had a private room this time around as that was the main thing I didn't like about Anna's birth was sharing the room afterward.  It was fabulous this time and it only costs about 80 GBP, the price of a hotel, and you get room service!  Then at about 3 am, they brought her down and said, "um, she really wants you, and she definitely can make herself heard!"  Apparently she was quite loud.  She can still make her opinions know quite well if she is unhappy about something!

My midwife and friend with Lizzie in our room


Then, we were together at last.  I was able to nurse her and she was happy.  It was very nice to be able to start to get to know her.  Anna came back to the hospital in the morning with Drew.  In fact, they were already at the hospital before they came by, because it turned out, Drew had developed pink eye!  So, we had to be very cautious for a few days so Lizzie didn't catch it.  He also had a bad cold when Anna was born, I guess that is his way.  Anyway, when Anna came to my room to see Lizzie she was so happy to hold her and she sang to her, it was so sweet!



Lizzie gave Anna a Gruffalo



Our friend Eric took these newborn pictures!




2 comments: